About the Director (bullets)
Master of Science
Newhouse School of Public Communications
Bachelor of Science, Liberal Arts
S.U.’s Military Photojournalism Program
Chief Petty Officers Leadership Continuum
Naval Amphibious Base Coronado, CA
• Certificate, Center for Law, Technology and Communications at Thomas Jefferson School of Law (TJSL) 2006
• Academic Excellence Award, The Witkin Institute and Thomson West Legal Publishing 2006
• Top of Class, persuasive writing, TJSL 2006
• High Honors for advanced research TJSL 2006
• California Association of Public Information Officials innovation award 2006
• California Association of Public Information Officials web design award 2004
• California Association of Public Information Officials advertising award 2001
• California Association of Public Information Officials web design award 2001
• Pacific Stars & Stripes Journalist of the Year 1994
• Navy Print Journalist of the Year (Second Place) 1986
• Navy Print Journalist of the Year (Honorable Mention) 1990
• Military Photographer of the Year 1991
• Military Photographer of the Year 1990
• Military Photographer of the Year (First Runner Up) 1993
• Military Photographer of the Year (First Runner Up) 1992
• Military Photographer of the Year (Honorable Mention) 1986
• Military Sports Photojournalist of the Year 1994
• Thomas Jefferson Award for Photojournalism 1986
• Thomas Jefferson Award for Photojournalism 1985
• Navy Chief of Information Merit Awards (25) 1985 to 1991
Achieved 11th place in Photographer of the Year competition in 1992 for the National Press Photographers Association, Region 10, which includes photographers from the Los Angeles Times, Seattle Times, Orange County Register, San Diego Union Tribune, San Jose Mercury News, and many others.
Author and photographer of “How To Build The World’s Most Incredible Wooden Surfboard” 168 full-color pages.
Author and illustrator of “Ginger Girl: She Won Our Hearts; We Lost Our Minds” 72 full-color pages.
Author, photographer, illustrator, designer of Photo Reporting: A Professional Guide, 180 pages, 130 photos and illustrations.
International Coverage Highlights:
Persian Gulf: USS Independence enforcement of the No-Fly Zone over Iraq; Philippines: Eruption of Mt. Pinatubo and evacuation of American families; Vietnam: First repatriation of U.S. servicemen from Hanoi after lifting of trade embargo; China: Shanghai students’ protests in days preceding military crackdown in Beijing; Soviet Union: First U.S. warship visit in more than 50 years to Vladivostok, Russia; Also filed from: United Arab Emirates, Bahrain, Japan, Korea, Indonesia, Malaysia, Singapore, Thailand, Australia, Italy, Spain, France, Germany and England
See the “narrative” version of Mr. Salois’ biography.